Now that the holidays are behind us, it is once again CrossFit Open season! Registration for the 2017 CrossFit Open is set to begin on Thursday, January 12 and at Ignis we couldn’t be more pumped about it! For newcomers, you might be wondering why you should register or what it even is.
In a nutshell, the CrossFit Open is a series of workouts programmed by CrossFit HQ that runs for five weeks (one workout per week). The event allows any athlete in the world to participate in the preliminary qualifiers that lead up to the CrossFit Games this summer. So everyone from the average athlete, beginning CrossFitter, soccer mom, student, retiree, and weekend warrior to champions and sponsored athletes like Froning, Khalipa, Briggs, and Foucher will participate and begin with the Open. A subjective score is assigned based on judged performance and top athletes move on to regional competitions.
You may be asking yourself, “Why the hell would I want to do the Open? I have no desire to compete.” Glad you asked.
WHY SHOULD I DO THE CROSSFIT OPEN?
- Because you can! There are Rx and Scaled options for each Open WOD and, like always, you do what you’re capable of doing, while pushing your limits. And there’s that old adage of the magic happening outside your comfort zone. Believe it. Don’t let muscle-ups scare you from trying.
- The Open WODs give you a chance to get to know your fellow box members and strengthen the CrossFit community, building a stronger Ignis family. You’ll be cheered on and you’ll cheer on others as you step up to the challenge.
- You may just learn something about yourself. Maybe you’ll finally PR that clean and jerk or learn that wall balls aren’t as bad as you’d thought. Maybe you’ll see progress you hadn’t expected. You may just do something you didn’t think possible.
- If you are interested in competing, it’s a great place to start. There’s no friendlier competition than the one against your Ignis brothers and sisters.
- To be frank, it’s good for Ignis. Participation in the Open and our Friday Night Lights events (more details below) provide exposure to our box and bring in potential new members, those who see you accomplishing goals and catch the bug.
- It’s fun and you can win prizes!
HOW DOES THIS WHOLE THING WORK?
At CrossFit Ignis, we’re setting up our Open WODs as an intramural competition. Here’s a quick bullet list to give a brief overview on the rules:
- Everyone who signs up for the Open will be assigned to one of four teams.
- ALL members MUST be registered through the CrossFit Games website in order to participate. Deadline to sign up to participate is February 10th, which is two weeks prior to the Open.
- Each team will have a Team Captain, who will be responsible for coming up with a catchy team name (examples: Kipping it Real, Snatches of Liberty, etc.), motivating and pushing team members to get engaged in the FNL environment, and so on. Captains TBA.
- We will hold a “draft” with the Team Captains shortly after sign-ups are finalized to assemble the teams. The draft will follow the same process as is done for most sports teams or fantasy leagues – drawing of numbers then selecting the team members based on that number. An even distribution of Rx and Scaled athletes will be on each team.
- On each Friday night of the Open, we’ll host Friday Night Lights, where competitors will take on the Open WOD of the week in an exciting atmosphere. Members and teams will earn points in a number of ways.
- 5 points – “Spirit Award” – For the team with the most spirit, energy, and excitement at FNL
- 3 points – Top 3 Competitors (Male & Female) with the highest Open WOD score in the box
- 3 points – Attendance and completing the WOD at FNL, for each individual. (It pays to come to Friday Night Lights!)
- 2 points – Completing the WOD as a make-up on the following Saturday (for each individual)
- 1 point – Completing the WOD as a make-up on the following Monday (for each individual)
- 1 point – “The Real MVP Award” – For the competitor that contributed the most to the Open, pushed him/herself out of their comfort zone, rallied around others, etc. Chosen by Team Captains’ consensus.
- The Box Leaderboard will be posted at the box for everyone to see and to keep you motivated to bring your A game at FNL.
- The team with the most points at the end of the Open will receive a really, really cool prize (to be announced). Trust us when we say you want to win. In the event of a tie between teams at the end of the Open, we’ll host an Event 6, which we promise will be a blast for everyone involved.
- We’ll be using Friday Night Lights as an opportunity to give back to the community. Watch our Facebook page for more information on how we’ll also be able to do some fundraising for great causes while we workout.
- IGNIS MEMBERS – PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!! We cannot stress this enough. We need a huge number of people in attendance to create an electric atmosphere in the box and it will give them a chance to see what the CrossFit community is all about. Watch for more information on door prizes and giveaways for attendees and non-members.
- We know this is a lot of information, so please don’t hesitate to ask questions about the process!
- Thursday, 2/2/2017 – Last day to register at the CrossFit Games website
- Thursday, 2/23/2017, 8:00pm – Open WOD 17.1 announced live on the CrossFit Games website
- Friday, 2/24/2017, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights WODs kick off with 17.1
- Friday, 3/3/2017, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights, 17.2
- Friday, 3/10/2017, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights, 17.3
- Friday, 3/17/2017, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights, 17.4
- Friday, 3/24/2017, 6:00pm – Final Friday Night Lights, 17.5
WHAT DO I TO SIGN UP?
Create an account at the CrossFit Open website if you haven’t already.
Make sure to choose CrossFit Ignis as your affiliate.
And then let us know that you’ll be attending!