Are you ready to experience the most magical time at the box?!? It’s a time for stepping out of that comfort zone, for hitting new PR’s and for cheering on and being cheered for like never before. For our 4th year, we are bringing back “Friday Night Lights” and our Intramural Competition!
If you’re relatively new to Ignis, you may be wondering why you should register or what it even is. If you’re a FNL regular, read on – there are some changes this year!
WHAT IS THE OPEN?
In a nutshell, the CrossFit Open is a series of workouts programmed by CrossFit HQ that runs for five weeks (one workout per week). The event allows any athlete in the world to participate in the preliminary qualifiers that lead up to the CrossFit Games this summer. So everyone from the average athlete, beginning CrossFitter and CrossFit beast will participate and begin with the Open. A subjective score is assigned based on judged performance and this year things are a little different with only the top male & female in each country getting a coveted invitation to the CrossFit Games. You can read more about that here. (Hint: there are TWO Opens this year!!!)
But…wait you might say, I have no aspirations of going to the CrossFit Games or even doing a competition. What’s in it for me? Glad you asked!
WHY SHOULD I DO THE CROSSFIT OPEN?
- Because you can! There are Rx and Scaled options for each Open WOD and, like always, you do what you’re capable of doing, while pushing your limits. And there’s that old adage of the magic happening outside your comfort zone. Believe it.
- Teamwork! Many of our members say that some of their closest friendships have been forged during the Open. The design of the WODs give you a chance to get to know your fellow box members and strengthen the CrossFit community, building a stronger Ignis family. You’ll be cheered on and you’ll cheer on others as you step up to the challenge.
- Self-discovery! You may just learn something about yourself – how much you can push yourself and what you’re truly capable of accomplishing.
- Competitors, start here! If you are interested in competing, it’s a great place to start. There’s no friendlier competition than the one against your Ignis brothers and sisters.
- It’s good for Ignis. Participation in the Open and our Friday Night Lights events (more details below) provide exposure to our box and bring in potential new members, those who see you accomplishing goals and catch the bug.
- It’s fun and you can win prizes!
HOW DOES THIS WHOLE THING WORK?
At CrossFit Ignis, we’re once again setting up our Open WODs as an intramural competition. But 2019 will look a a little bit different than we’ve done it in years past.
Here’s a quick bullet list to give a brief overview on the rules:
- Everyone who signs up for the Open will be assigned to one of three teams. If we get more than 30 participants, we will create a fourth team.
- Each team will be identified by a color: Red, White, Blue, Green, etc.
- ALL members MUST sign up at the box and pay a $20.00 entry fee to CrossFit Ignis. All proceeds from this entry fee will go toward the purchase of new equipment for the box. We’d love to add a 4th Rogue Echo bike to our arsenal and your registration fees will go a long way on helping us get it.
- If knowing where you rank with competitors worldwide is high on your list of priorities, you can register at the CrossFit Games website.
- Each team will have a Team Captain, who will be responsible for coming up with a catchy team name (past examples: Swole Patrol, Kipping It Real, etc.), motivating and pushing team members to get engaged in the FNL environment, and so on. We’re working on confirming our Captains and we’ll be posting more details soon! If you’d like to be a Captain – let your Coach know asap!
- We will hold a “draft” with the Team Captains shortly after sign-ups are finalized to assemble the teams. The draft will follow the same process as is done for most sports teams or fantasy leagues – drawing of numbers then selecting the team members based on that number. An even distribution of Rx and Scaled athletes will be on each team.
- On each Friday night of the Open, we’ll host Friday Night Lights, where competitors will take on the Open WOD of the week in an exciting atmosphere. Members and teams will earn points in a number of ways, including performance in the WOD, attendance at Friday Night Lights, and many other non-physical challenges.
- Because this was so much fun last year, we’re doing it again: Thursday Throwdowns! Immediately after Dave Castro announces the WOD on Thursday nights, two competitors at our box will go head-to-head. It promises to be a blast to watch the athletes duke it out.
- The Box Leaderboard will be posted at the box for everyone to see and to keep you motivated to bring your “A game” at FNL.
- The team with the most points at the end of the Open will receive a one of a kind T-shirt along with having our name immortalized on our FNL Trophy! Trust us when we say you want to win.
- While the Open is in progress, there will be NO Friday Classes to allow everyone to get nice and rested for the evenings events!!
- If you miss a FNL event – you can schedule a make up session with your Coach so that you can still earn points for your team!
- PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!! We cannot stress this enough. We need a huge number of people in attendance to create an electric atmosphere in the box and it will give them a chance to see what the CrossFit community is all about. Watch for more information on door prizes and giveaways for attendees and non-members.
- We know this is a lot of information, so please don’t hesitate to ask questions about the process!
- Friday, 2/1/2019 – Last day to register at box
- Saturday, 2/2/2019 – Captains’ Athletes Draft
- Thursday, 2/21/2019, 8:00pm – Open WOD 19.1 announced live on the CrossFit Games website – Thursday Throwdown to follow immediately thereafter
- Friday, 2/22/2019, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights WODs kick off with 19.1
- Thursday, 2/28/2019 – 8:00pm – 19.2 Thursday Throwdown
- Friday, 3/1/2019, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights, 19.2
- Thursday, 3/7/2019 – 8:00pm – 19.3 Thursday Throwdown
- Friday, 3/8/2019, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights, 19.3
- Thursday, 3/14/2019 – 8:00pm – 19.4 Thursday Throwdown
- Friday, 3/15/2019, 6:00pm – Friday Night Lights, 19.4
- Thursday, 3/21/2019 – 8:00pm – 19.5 Thursday Throwdown
- Friday, 3/22/2019, 6:00pm – Final Friday Night Lights, 19.5
WHAT DO I TO SIGN UP?
Register on the sign-up sheet at the box and pay your $20.00 entry fee, beginning this week.
If you choose to participate in the scoring from HQ, you’ll need to create an account at the CrossFit Open website if you haven’t already and pay the additional fee there. Make sure to choose CrossFit Ignis as your affiliate.
And then let us know that you’ll be attending! Watch for more details coming soon.