“Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child and one teacher can change the world.”
For 5 years now, we have used our collective servant hearts at CrossFit Ignis to help make a difference and ease the stress of children through our backpack program. This year is of particular importance. The world has changed. So much. Just imagine being a child trying to process it all, then on top of that add in not being able to afford basic school supplies.
Teachers have servant hearts too. Really big ones. Did you now that one in five teachers are spending their own money on classroom supplies. On average, most spent nearly $500 last year, and one in 10 spent $1,000 or more. All told, a total of $1.6 billion in school supply costs is shifted from parents — or, increasingly, from cash-strapped districts — onto teachers themselves.
Without the help from those generous teachers many children would simply go without. With over 50% of Kentucky’s school children living at or below poverty levels, YOU can help make a difference!
In 2015, we initiated the “Pack the Backpack” Challenge after over hearing a member, and teacher, talk about how much she had spent on supplies for her elementary level students. Amazingly, over 50 backpacks were donated that year, in 2016 we gave 65 and 2017 was off the hook with 103 backpacks stuffed to the brim, 2018 saw 76 packs and 2019 we donated 71 stuffed packs! All told that’s 365 opportunities for a child to not have to worry about the simplest things.
Let’s do it again in 2020 and let’s make this one for the record books.
Are you up for the challenge?!?
We challenge each of you to “Pack the Backpack” for this back-to-school season. By simply filling up a backpack with needed supplies YOU can make a difference and it’s fairly inexpensive to do so. To encourage you even further, we have a very sweet prize planned for one lucky winner. Here’s how it will work:
– Pick up a school supply list and tag at CrossFit Ignis starting on July 8, 2020 or print off a copy of the image below.
– Purchase a backpack (or re-purpose a gently used one) and fill with items from the list below.
– Using the provided bag tag, denote which grade your supplies are for and attach to your backpack. (You have the option of grades K through 3rd – so feel free to select one or more!)
– Turn your full backpack(s) in at CrossFit Ignis no later than August 8, 2020. (Due to COVID-19 protocols that are currently in place, if you are not a CrossFit Ignis member we do ask that you schedule your drop off with us in advance by calling 606-677-9607)
– For each full backpack you donate you will be entered into a drawing for $100 CASH MONEY!!
A few guidelines to keep in mind:
– Due to COVID19 concerns it will be a requirement that EACH backpack be placed inside of its own plastic bag and labeled with that days date – this will ensure no cross-contamination occurs and will allow our teachers to know when the packs are safe to distribute.
– Please stick to items listed on the supply list
– Gender-neutral backpacks and items/masks are preferred for ease of distribution.
– No wheels on the backpacks, please.
Not a member of CrossFit Ignis? Not a problem! This challenge is for ANYONE and EVERYONE in our community who wants to give back, and who wouldn’t mind a shot at that sweet prize. Our supply list and bag tags are shown below. If you would prefer an electronic copy, please send an email to the address below and we’ll get them to you right away!
To our members, be sure to share this challenge with your friends! Let’s blow the teachers & kids away with your generosity! We can’t wait to see the impact YOU will make on our community this year!
Send questions to Coach Kelli at firstname.lastname@example.org.